Moderator for spam

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Abrahman McGuyenski 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
February 22, 2012 at 18:34 #697

Abrahman McGuyenski

Hi Lincoln, I recently noticed this forum is now receiving a lot of spam messages (probably from spam bots designed for bbPress). I would be willing to become a moderator on this forum for the sole purpose of helping you cleaning it from spam. It would make easier for people to follow topics.

February 22, 2012 at 21:09 #786

Colin

Haha I was thinking the exact same thing.

February 22, 2012 at 22:32 #787

Abrahman McGuyenski

That’s great. I also thought you could be the moderator here since you’ve been active on the forum for a while.

February 23, 2012 at 13:05 #788

Abrahman McGuyenski

Or it could be both of us for better cleanse.

February 27, 2012 at 04:25 #789

Lincoln
Keymaster

Wonderful! I have set you both as moderators. I have not had enough free time to keep up with this forum.

Please look for plug-ins that can add a captcha to the subscriber sign-up. This will prevent spambots from registering new users. As you can see, I have many hundred spam bot users. Feel free to delete those names that are obvious fakes. Leave any names that may be legit.

Thanks guys!

February 27, 2012 at 04:32 #790

Lincoln
Keymaster

Correction: I have about 1,500 spam users. Go get ’em guys!

I have found a trustworthy re-captcha for user registration. This will end the problem of spambot users and should eliminate future spam.

I’ll just need you guys to go through the 1,797 users and remove those who are the spambots. Don’t feel any time pressure. Work at your leisure. Thank you!

February 27, 2012 at 05:42 #791

Lincoln
Keymaster

I just learned the bbPress (the forum software that I am using) totally changed their software. This forum is currently running on the older version which is no longer being supported. A brand new installation of the forum software will need to be made, and then all topics, posts and users transferred.

I do not have the hours to spend performing this at this time. In a few weeks I will have the free time to complete this. The problem is that there is no way to turn off new users from registering, so the spam will continue in small amounts.

Please continue to remove spam posts as you find them. But do not be overly concerned with remove the 1,500+ spam users. When the times comes, I will perform a clean install and ask everyone to sign up again.

Thanks for your help on this. Blessings and Love.

February 27, 2012 at 15:06 #792

Abrahman McGuyenski

It looks like Colin deleted all spam topics, that’s great :). As for deleting the spam bot users, I couldn’t delete them. Maybe we need extra privileges for doing that. I don’t know how the right managements work in bbPress, but when I hover the mouse on the users in the admin page, I can only see a “view” link. Conversely, when I hover on topics, I see “view”, “edit”, “delete”.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.