Breathing with right and left nostril with even inhale and exhale

Welcome to Channel Higher Self Forums Yoga Pranayama Breathing with right and left nostril with even inhale and exhale

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Lincoln 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
November 25, 2011 at 18:53 #672

Lincoln
Keymaster

This question was asked by a YouTube viewer. I posed the question and my answer below. Enjoy!

Video:Stopping Your Thoughts to Open Your Perception

i listened all 4 parts. you gave us counting technique(1 to 10) to reduce or stop thoughts. please clarify me.

one enlightened master told us if u do meditation when two breaths(right and left) are not equal, then thoughts will not stop. so he said if two breaths are equal then that is the eligibility to do meditation.

according to my experience, what he told is true. what is ur opinion on this? and how to make two breaths equal. THANK U…

The counting technique is to help people focus on the breath and gain conscious control of the thought process. This is a beginner technique that can be stopped when a person is able to stay focused on the breath. This technique do not involve breath control. Just watching and feeling the breath. And counting the inhales and exhales, as 1, then 2, then 3…. Count the breaths , not the length of the breath.

Forcing the breaths to be equal lengths and/or alternate nostril breathing is a form of pranayama – control of the prana (and breath). This has its purpose. But I do not teach this method. I find it unnecessary.

Basically, when both nostrils are open and breathing together, the central energy channel (Sushumna) will be open. This can happen through force of will (pranayama as is commonly taught) or naturally (as in meditation). When the Sushumna opens the prana (Kundalini) flows more strongly and purifies the chakras, eventually reaching enlightenment.

Even inhales and exhales will create an even mind. Longer inhale will create more excitment. Longer exhale will create more relaxation.

Consider this Pranayama 101. :o) I hope you enjoyed it.

What I teach…..

When a student meditates, there is no control of the breath. The breath is let to be natural. As the breath settles, so will the mind. As the breath deepens naturally, so will the awareness be drawn more innerward. With meditation, we let all activities in our self slow down which makes it easier to become more aware of the silent inner awareness. Then we learn to stay as this awareness and become more aware of the awareness to reach enlightenment.

This is a path of surrendering while staying in awareness.

I hope that helps.

Blessings and Love,

~ Lincoln

December 11, 2011 at 12:25 #761

Martijn
Participant

Such a clear awsner!

January 30, 2012 at 03:39 #783

Heather
Participant

I heard somewhere that if your left nostril is blocked it means you are not balanced with your spiritual self, and if your right is blocked, you are not balanced with the body. Is there any truth to this? My left nostril gets stuffed up a lot, while my right is always clear. Also, whenever something happens (illness or injury, pain, etc.) it is always on my left side. What does this mean? Does it mean I am unaligned in some way?

April 17, 2012 at 00:26 #805

passion8
Participant

Bumb Heather, exactly the same thing happens to me.. sat here right now with blocked left nostril, has been for days.. associated sharp pain/knot by/underneath left shoulder blade, left lower back and intestines… did a lot of balancing breathes and it is clearing slightly.. interesting what you’ve put there! anyone else know any more?

July 19, 2012 at 13:33 #828

Lincoln
Keymaster

Hi Heather, No that is not true. Naturally the body will alternate which nostril is open and functioning. The body follows a 1 hour cycle where one nostril is open, while the other is closed… and then they switch.

The Indian tradition of Swara Yoga [http://astore.amazon.com/sunlightenmen-20/detail/8185787360] has identified that the right nostril is linked to the Pingala energy channel in the body and has influence over the physical body’s activity. The left nostril is linked to the Ida energy channel and has influence over the mind’s activity. So when one nostril is dominant, the linked energy channel is also being activite.

If one nostril is more active than the other, then your energy system will be mildly imbalanced. You could be a more mental type for example. This is not dangerous for your health. But you would benefit by doing Nadi Shodhana Kriya – a yogic breathing technique (pranayama) / alternative nostril breathing. It is taught online or in the recommended book above.

The general idea is that this breathing practice would start to re-balance your energy system and in doing so create a healthier mind and body energy flow.

Blessings and Love.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.